Customized B2B order management
Every industry uses its own language. And every company has its own special workflow and ordering rules. Shouldn’t your B2B eCommerce site honor those rules and processes? Why would you settle for anything less? We couldn’t agree more.
PARI Respiratory Equipment develops and manufactures products that continually advance the science of respiratory care. This 106-year-old company has headquarters in Germany and territories in the US, Japan, China, Russia, and the UK.
Recently, PARI partnered with us to develop and launch PariOrder.com — a B2B eCommerce website that features real-time integration between Magento and SAP. (Read the full case study.)
But, before we could launch an SAP-integrated site, we had to address a few SAP issues first, including:
- Some ‘tribal knowledge’ within PARI’s customer service group was not programmed into SAP. (‘Tribal knowledge’ describes business processes and rules followed by seasoned employees, but not documented anywhere.)
- Certain pharmaceutical terminology that PARI’s customers would expect to see on a B2B website didn’t match the existing labels used in SAP.
Our solution needed to work with the following:
- Website interface design, provided by PARI’s marketing team
- SAP ECC 6.0
- Magento Community Edition
PARI’s customers wanted an easy-to-use interface that displayed product items and information using the language and terms they recognized.
PARI’s management wanted to make sure that all existing ordering rules were enforced on the new B2B eCommerce site.
According to Dale Anderson, PARI’s CFO, “Our experienced customer service reps knew about certain maximum order quantity rules that didn’t exist in our SAP system. So, we were concerned that when we switched to a B2B eCommerce site for order management, those safeguards against order entry errors would be lost.”
“For example, if a customer using our new site intended to order 100 products, but entered 1,000 by mistake, we were concerned that the mistake would go directly through to our warehouse and get shipped.”
What We Did
Translated tribal knowledge into custom SAP logic
We develop a custom table in SAP and implemented logic that can either apply to an individual material number or a product hierarchy. This new logic determines the maximum quantity allowed for a particular order and prevents web users from placing orders in quantities or combinations that violate PARI’s business rules.
Used language and terms that resonate with the target audience.
Instead of showing users a field label called “Material Number – which is an SAP naming convention – we renamed the field “Part Number” because that’s what PARI users would expect to see. This is one small example of a long list of naming and labeling updates we made to create a more user-friendly interface.
- A confident and reassured management team (they know that their customers are protected from costly order-entry mistakes).
- Happy customers (they can now self-serve routine order management tasks, and they didn’t have to learn a new language!)
- Happy web designers (they got the user interface design they wanted with the data they needed…and they didn’t have to figure out how to connect to SAP)
Have it your way
Unlike many other SaaS offerings, with b2b2dot0, you’re not stuck with a pre-set list of configurations. Our solution is architected so that SAP integration configurations can be specific to your B2B eCommerce site.
Contact us for more information about our core SAP eCommerce integration offering and how it can be customized to your needs.